Professor David HopkinsBack
- School Improvement
- School Design
- Raising Standards
- Professional Development
- Policy Making
- Out Of School Learning
- Curriculum Design and Assessment
- Adventure And The Outdoors
- 21st Century Learning
David Hopkins is Professor Emeritus at the Institute of Education, University of London and Director of Education for the Bright Tribe Trust. He is a Trustee of Outward Bound and the new Charity Adventure Learning Schools. David holds visiting professorships at the Catholic University of Santiago, the Chinese University of Hong Kong and the Universities of Cumbria, Edinburgh, Melbourne and Wales and consults internationally on school reform. Between 2002 and 2005 he served three Secretary of States as the Chief Adviser on School Standards at the Department for Education and Skills. Previously, he was Chair of the Leicester City Partnership Board and Dean of the Faculty of Education at the University of Nottingham. Before that again he was a Tutor at the University of Cambridge Institute of Education, a Secondary School teacher and Outward Bound Instructor. David is also an International Mountain Guide who still climbs regularly in the Alps and Himalayas. The Open University Press has published some of his most recent books Every School a Great School, Exploding the Myths of School Reform and A Teachers Guide to Classroom Research (5th edn).
Current Positions Held
• Visiting or Emeritus Professor at the Catholic University of Santiago, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, the Institute of Education, London, and the Universities of Edinburgh, Melbourne, Nottingham and Wales
• Member of the Board of Trustees of Outward Bound and responsible for developing the Outward Bound School concept
• International Education Consultant, currently to the Governments of Bermuda, Chile, Mexico and States/Provinces in Australia and Canada.
Senior Fellow ar McREL Education Laboratory - Denver Colorado.
Personal Achievements and Awards
• Author of over forty books on educational issues.which include most recently "Exploding the Myths of Social Reform" and "Every School a Great School, Models of Learning - Tools for Teaching and A Teacher’s Guide to Classroom Research
• Member of the team that won the contract for the National College for School Leadership, founding member of the College’s Governing Council and Chair of its first Think Tank
• Long time consultant to the OECD on policy formation, school improvement and teacher quality and to some twenty Ministries of Education worldwide on these themes
• 1977-80 Simon Fraser University, Canada - Doctor of Philosophy
Relevant Career and Professional Background
• 2005 - 2009 Inaugural HSBC Chair in International Leadership, Institute of Education
• 2002 - 2005 Chief Adviser to the Secretary of State on School Standards
• 1999 - 2002 Chair, Leicester City Partnership Board
• 1996 - 2002 Professor and Dean of Education, University of Nottingham
• 1985 - 1996 Tutor, University of Cambridge Institute of Education
• Previously - School Teacher, College Lecturer, Outward Bound Instructor and Mountain Guide
David was superb! Really inspirational and very, very well received. Thank you.